Sonntag, 10. Juni 2012

Namibia.


10 June 2012

Each time one of my friends or family ask me to relay the top highlight of my travels to Namibia, I always find myself explaining along at least two paths: meeting the people and seeing the wild animals.  My short time during the first week of May in Namibia had so many great points.  The people, however, made an impression on me beyond what seeing zebras, elephants, giraffes and lions for the first time ever could.  
The people who I met were warm, observant, welcoming and curious (almost as curious as I was!).  Meeting people for the first time is always rewarding but meeting these people in Windhoek, Outapi and Onawa Village was beyond the social rewards usually experienced; getting to know people who live in a vastly different culture from anything I know or could understand was life-changing.
When I arrived in Onawa Village on my second day in Namibia, the welcome I received made me feel very special.  Three of Adam’s students were waiting by the shops that sit in stand-alone square block buildings as you turn off the main gravel road into the village.  They hopped in the truck to join Johanna, Ernst and me as we headed toward the Shaanika’s homestead in the center of the village.  Kahipi (Adam’s friend from his year as a teacher in Onawa), his brothers and other Shaanika family welcomed us and shared drinks, food and stories.  They made me feel so welcome in a way that I knew I was supposed to be sitting around the open-air living room with exactly these people at this time.  I was able to relax in the moment, drink in the oshikund, eat the oshifimi and be surrounded by sincerity.
My third day in Namibia allowed a tour of Onawa Village, which is loosely strewn together structures, connected by open flood lands.  During this short drive-around the village, anyone Kahipi introduced me to as “Adam’s Amanda” quickly showed light and love from their smiles as they reconnected with memories of Adam’s time in Oanawa.
After the tour, it was finally my chance to meet Magdalena.  After being her far-removed sponsor for the last 3 years, I was urgently excited that Kahipi was able to make contact with her family and arrange that we would follow the severely un-detailed directions to the Kamati homestead at noon.  We drove and drove, not completely knowing how to get to Magdalena’s family’s land that sits quite far from the village where they farm Mahangu.  As we drove I contemplated Magdalena’s dedication to education knowing she would walk this distance, plus all the way through the village, each day for school (even in floodwaters, sometimes so high the school had to be closed to prevent the small children from being swept away by the wet season’s taking of the roads and fields).
When we finally reached the Kamati homestead, Magdalena was not yet returned from the neighbors (it was harvest time and even the children work very hard).  We sat, and with Kahipi translating, I spoke with Magdalena’s father.  He confirmed I was indeed his daughters sponsor only after chatting and making me, Kahipi and my driver, Ernst, feel welcome.  Then Magdalena came walking into the homestead!  She walked slowly with her head down, displaying her extremely shy self.  When she saw me, she walked faster and let me give her a big hug!!  We talked, her family made us a fantastic lunch, we traveled back to the village together, then back to the homestead again, and we talked about her university.  I had previously given her the task to check on financial aid and grants for university but because only this year the global recession hit Namibia, the 50-60% unemployment and other economic struggles have created a situation with very little school financial assistance.  I told her that I would make sure she had the money for university if she got herself accepted – she did not respond, only looked down, and after Kahipi confirmed she understood my English it was clear this shy girl was just overwhelmed by the news.  Kahipi then translated this news to Magdalena’s father and this man grown old from village life, jumped from his chair and thanked me with a big American hug.  He explained that because their only son had died and he was now old and injured, there was no good work and no money for school.  He further explained that he is so happy Magdalena will have the chance for university.  I continued to explain how it was my honor to be part of their life and I was blessed with the love beaming from Magdalena’s father’s face. 
After my time in the North in Outapi and Onawa, I headed back for a couple days of relaxing in Windhoek.  Ernst drove us through Etosha on the way back from the North.  Here I saw amazing African animals in their natural habitat.  When we finally reached Windhoek and Ernst brought me back to Guesthouse Terra Africa, I was welcomed home like I was family.  All of Rolf’s staff are so warm and kind; it was just what I needed to enter two days of total relaxation.
…Until next time, Namibia!
Magdalena's Family - Father, Magdalena, older sister, me and Mom

A view of the land in the middle of the village.

I spotted a lion in Etosha!

And Ernst found me an Elephant!!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen