Dienstag, 31. Juli 2012

Last Day In Vienna...


31 July 2012

The last few weeks have been so crazy I never even found time to write about my trip to Mexico, relaxing on the beach in Playa del Carmen, visiting Chichen Itza nor my trip to Paris to see my dear friend.  Now, it seems too far gone with another heavy imminent trip approaching.  I move back to America in the morning.

Only because I loved this city and the people who I met so much did a short 6 month secondment become 1.5 years in this land.  I must be honest and say I will not miss stumbling over the German language but I will miss hearing versions of Austrian dialect chatting next to me in a beach chair on the Donau Canal.  Or hearing it linger as I walked around this visually delightful city.  The museums, the cathedrals, the bright red trams, and the architecture from a time well-before what most American cities were around to experience. 

The lovely parks, especially the Augarten, the Prater, and Volksgarten will sincerely be missed.  Year round, the Rathausplatz, Stephansplatz, and Museumsquartier had something to offer to residents and visitors alike.  In the warm months, the Strandbar, Sand in the City, and hiking up to the top of Kahlenberg and Leopoldsberg always made me smile.  I only had one season of Christmas Markets but I fell in love instantly – warm punsch and comfort food brought us through those cold nights.  This city has so much to offer, it is difficult to think anywhere else I could go would wrap its arms around me in welcoming delight the way Vienna did.

Now, with less than 24 hours to go, my departure is fully realized.  As I walked today, away from my former employer, through the 3rd district and into the park, tears continued to sneak down my face.  My friends here, who so easily understand the importance of people and give them a value far above their careers; thank you for the welcome back to a normal reality (quite unlike my days in DC) because it is here where people matter more than money and spending time with a friend is the best moment of all.  Vienna has revived me and now the next chapter is about to be written…

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen