Samstag, 5. Februar 2011

I Dig the Brits...

05 February 2011
            Today has been productive!  My internal clock has not completely adjusted to the external clock on which everyone else around here seems to operate.  I always want to wake up at 11pm EST – and yes, that is 5am here.  The good thing about my confused internal clock is that I have a lot more time to do stuff.  Stuff like watch the sunrise down Landstrasser Hauptstrasse (the main road by my apartment), write a 10 page paper for one of my classes, run to the store and do laundry.  Before noon. 
Having accomplished so much so early today, I decided I would spend the afternoon being a tourist.  I headed out to catch the U3 to Stephansplatz to see St. Stephans Cathedral.  It was impressive!  They are in the process of restoring the amazing exterior and I took time to capture several pictures.  The beautiful blue sky made a great backdrop. 
Speaking of the weather, it was almost 50 degrees today!  I thought I wouldn’t need a winter coat…until the wind began to blow.  Once I realized nobody was trying to drop a house on a wicked witch or whisk me away to munchkin land, I officially proclaimed Vienna sister-city to Chicago, IL.  “City of Wind” – you have officially been challenged.  The wind made it feel like it was at least 15-20 degrees colder, with the hardest gusts being almost unbearable. The stimulating temperature change quickly prompted me to return to my apartment and bundle up before heading out sight-seeing.
All bundled up, along with a bunch of other people who were all bundled up, I came upon a group of British B-boys.  They did a show for the huge crowd that had gathered.  I was impressed by their skills – one guy had the most on-beat threading I have ever seen and another guy held a head spin for about half an hour!  It was the perfect end to a fantastic afternoon.
Sunrise :-)




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen